- Get Involved
- Online Volunteer Form
- Governing Council
- After School
- Parent Resources
- Site Tools
Friends of the Open School
Friends of the Open School (Friends) is a non-profit organization composed of parents, and family members of students attending Open School. We raise money for our curricular enhancement programs including art, music, physical education, garden, and technology. Friends raises the funds through events and other efforts. We then pass it over to the Governing Council of The Open School who sets the budget and determines how the funds will be allocated. All of the money raised by Friends is invested directly into the school and positively impacts every child's educational experience.
The specific purpose of Friends is to provide support and assistance to The Open School, including, but not limited to, financial support for academics, art, music, garden, physical education, technology, field trips, philanthropic endeavors, and other programs, services, and acquisitions deemed to be in the best interest of the students, staff, or school. Through the money we raise, Friends strives to help Open School to maintain a high level of educational standard for all students.
How to Help Friends Support the Open School
- Volunteer for a Friends sponsored event. Keep an eye on the calendar and emails for opportunities throughout the year. If you are interested in a specific event, we are always looking for event chairs, committee members, and volunteers. Let us know by email, or leave a note in the Friends mailbox in the front office, or come to a meeting. You can also fill out the volunteer form and we will contact you.
- If you would like to make a monetary contribution to the Open School, Donate Now on the website or bring a check into the school. Any amount is appreciated and will help us reach our fundraising goal for the year. Check with your employer to find out if they will match your donation. Regardless of your ability to donate, all students and families will be able to participate in all Friends-sponsored programs and activities.
- If you have information or contacts for corporate donations, let us know. Donations of money from corporations will help us to reach our fundraising goal more quickly and takes pressure off of our families pocketbooks. We are always looking for donations of food, drinks, paper goods, auction items, printing, and many other things to offset the cost of putting on our fundraisers.
We welcome and encourage your participation in any way big or small.
Any Open School family member is welcome to join us at our meetings. We meet in the teachers lounge at 7:00 pm. Our meeting is immediately following the Governing Council meeting. Please check the website calendar for dates or last minute changes to the meeting times. Childcare is provided free of charge.
Friends Executive Board 2016-2017
Term: July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017
- President - Julia Jones
- Vice President - David Abroms
- Vice President - Jessica Ferguson
- Vice President - Amy Raichlen
- Vice President - Tanya Jones
- Secretary - Laura Williford
- Treasurer - Naomi Salamon
Submitted by Jess Ferguson on Apr 18 (last updated Apr 19)
Submitted by Jess Ferguson on Dec 15 (last updated Dec 15)
Friends of Open will receive a percentage of AmazonSmile eligible purchases that will directly help fund the amazing programs at Open when you shop on amazon.com using the links provided here. Please take a few seconds to click on the link below and replace your old bookmark or create a new one.
Submitted by Jess Ferguson on Sep 17 (last updated Sep 19)
Help keep your kids from losing their things and help raise money for Open!
This year we have partnered with Olivers Labels for all of your labeling needs. They come in sticker or iron-on form, and they are dishwasher and washing machine safe.
By putting them on all of your kids' clothing and lunch box items, you will be able to find anything that has been left behind.
20% of the proceeds will go to Open School, so check it out!